Litigation finance comes of age
This article was originally posted on CityAM and the views expressed are those of the author (not affiliated with AxiaFunder).
Emily Perryman reports for CityAM on how the UK’s first litigation crowdfunding platform, AxiaFunder is enabling private investors to invest in litigation finance, an area previously only open to hedge funds and other large institutions.
- Axia’s record in raising funds for its first three cases
- The potential risks and rewards of investing in litigation
- AxiaFunder’s selective approach in choosing which cases to offer on its platform.
So if the case loses at trial the investors will not recover any of their initial investment. However there are many measures in place to reduce the risk to investors. AxiaFunder takes a very strict approach to assessing potential claims and only targets cases with at least 60% probability of winning if the case were to go to trial. Furthermore over 80% of cases settle before trial (source: Solomonic Litigation Analytics) and in the case of settlement AxiaFunder investors normally get paid in full. In addition to the claim having strong legal merit, the estimated damages of claims approved by AxiaFunder are typically over five times the costs of taking the case to trial with an expected time to resolution of less than three years. AxiaFunder also insists on having ATE after-the-event insurance providing protection against the claimant having to pay the opponent’s legal costs if the case is lost.
Read the full article at: https://www.cityam.com/litigation-finance-comes-of-age/
Originally published in CITYA.M. written by Emily Perryman, on 24 Oct. 2019
- Risks for investors in litigation funding | AxiaFunder
- Litigation funding case statistics | AxiaFunder
- Litigation funding versus other investment opportunities
- Single case versus portfolio litigation funding
- Litigation Finance Journal Podcast
- Evaluating Litigation Crowdfunding in light of the Code of the ALF
- Profile Review by P2P Guarantee
- Profile Review by Valiqo
- First secondary market trade of litigation funding assets completes
- Litigation funding with Cormac Leech podcast | AxiaFunder
- Profile Review by Explore P2P
- Todocrowdlending.com - Interview with Cormac Leech AxiaFunder CEO 2020
- AxiaFunder returns 94% to investors through second commercial litigation case win
- Opportunity Knocks for Litigation Finance
- What are legal merits? | AxiaFunder
- Litigation funding & rule of law
- The best kept secret in investing?
- New P2P platform launches to fund litigation cases
- Litigation finance industry opens up to private investors
- London Fintech podcast - Litigation crowdfunding w/Cormac Leech CEO Axiafunder