Litigation funding: A profitable portfolio alternative during Brexit?
Napoleon famously said that "England is a Nation of Shopkeepers". Under duress, he would perhaps have admitted "and of Magna Carta". Britain’s common law legal system, very different from the Napoleonic Code, is arguably the best in the world, explaining why so many international commercial agreements are executed here.
In the current Brexit-dominated environment, the UK should play to its strengths and continue to grow and export its legal system, currently worth c.£36bn annually to the national economy.
AxiaFunder is a litigation funding platform offering high net worth and sophisticated retail investors access to commercial litigation investments that typically would only be available to large private equity institutions such as Harbour or Therium.
Global data show that (unsurprisingly) economic prosperity correlates very closely with good rule of law, according to data from the most recent World Justice Project (2019). Venezuela, for example, scores at the worst end on both metrics and at the other extreme Scandinavia is close to the top, with China being a (potentially temporary) anomaly. Commercial litigation funding, helping to protect property rights, has a significant positive social impact and almost invariably has a tangible net benefit to the claimant in question when they most need financial support.
With yields at close to multi-century lows, equities valuations stretched, and Brexit dominating the headlines, attractive alternatives to cash are arguably limited. In this context, the double-digit returns offered by litigation funding, with no correlation to macro or political risk are potentially attractive to qualified investors.
To read the full article, visit https://www.altfi.com/article/5885_litigation-funding-a-profitable-portfolio-alternative-during-brexit.
Originally published in Altfi.com on 28 October 2019.
- The Investor Appropriateness Test
- Risks for investors in litigation funding
- AxiaFunder FCA Direct Authorisation
- AxiaFunder won Innovative Lender of the Year Award
- Access to litigation investments
- The Peer2Peer Finance News Power 50 2022
- AxiaFunder Review by P2P Platforms
- AxiaFunder Review by 4thWay
- AxiaFunder interview with CEO Cormac Leech
- AxiaFunder Targets Double-Digit IRRs
- AxiaFunder Review in iTech Post
- AxiaFunder launched new litigation finance product
- Back the suits who are bankrolling disputes
- Catalysing class actions using litigation funding
- Introduction to litigation funding
- Litigation funding and access to justice
- Financial Thing: Q&A with AxiaFunder
- Innovations in Litigation Funding Digital Event
- Flexible litigation funding
- AxiaFunder launches secondary market for trading litigation finance investments