Opportunity Knocks for Litigation Finance
Updated on 02/03/2021
Litigation funding has grown significantly in recent years. This expansion can be partially explained by an increase in the demand for legal finance by claimants due to the growth in the cost of litigation and the number of claims. Claimants might also be seeking litigation funding to shift the financial risk (e.g. adverse cost risk) to a third-party funder.
The volume of litigation generally tends to increase during economic recessions. The COVID-19 pandemic will almost certainly lead to an increase in insolvencies, fraud, and breaches of contracts. Businesses are also more likely to experience cash flow pressures in this economic climate. Thus, we expect there will be a further increase in the demand for litigation funding.
Litigation funding as an asset class is also likely to gain more popularity amongst investors as it is uncorrelated with the financial markets and is, in fact, inversely correlated with the fluctuations in the broader economy. Litigation finance is expected to thrive during times when many other asset classes are underperforming.
There is a small possibility that the investor can lose more than the original amount invested, even with non-avoidable ATE insurance in place. For more information, please read our blog What are the risks facing an investor in litigation funding?.
The full article has been originally published in New Law Journal on 9 April 2020.
- Risks for investors in litigation funding | AxiaFunder
- Litigation funding case statistics | AxiaFunder
- AxiaFunder launches first international case
- Litigation funding versus other investment opportunities
- Single case versus portfolio litigation funding
- Litigation Finance Journal podcast
- Evaluating litigation crowdfunding in light of the Code of the ALF
- Profile Review by P2P Guarantee
- Profile Review by Valiqo
- First secondary market trade of litigation funding assets completes
- Litigation funding with Cormac Leech podcast | AxiaFunder
- Profile Review by Explore P2P
- Todocrowdlending.com - Interview with Cormac Leech AxiaFunder CEO 2020
- AxiaFunder returns 94% to investors through second commercial litigation case win
- Opportunity Knocks for Litigation Finance
- What are legal merits? | AxiaFunder
- Litigation funding & rule of law
- The best kept secret in investing?
- New P2P platform launches to fund litigation cases
- Litigation finance industry opens up to private investors